Skip to main content

Studying in the US according to an international student

This week, Baylor University celebrates its International Education Week. Consequently, the Center for International Education (CIE) has scheduled several events throughout the week such as the study abroad information table in the SUB. I would like to take this opportunity to share my perspective on studying in the U.S.


As a child, I remember being introduced to the United States via my family television set that showed a few international channels such as the Cable News Networks (CNN). Even though I did not understand an English word pronounced by the journalists, I was fascinated by their strange accent and the different pictures I watched. Impressed by the cultural and racial diversity of the US, I dreamed of visiting this complex and powerful country.


Fast forward several years later, I am now studying in the U.S. I realized my dream. And I can safely say that the benefits of studying in the United States have exceeded my expectations. Not only I now claim to be fluent in English, my second language but I have developed friendships that will last a lifetime.

These friends are a mix of international and domestic students with whom I often share common interests. Sometimes, our cultural, social and racial differences are actually the common factors of some of the friendships I developed. Instinctively, my friends and I bonded because we want to know more about each other cultures and customs. Before we knew it, we could not have enough of each other.

Furthermore, I have been impressed by the warmth and the support I received from strangers, faculty, staff and Church members. Unfortunately, the warmth and support are not always found among my American peers. I noticed that most domestic students who express an interest for international students are generally those who have been somewhat exposed to the rest of the world through trips abroad or those who had formally developed friendships with international students. These domestic students are able to related with the struggles experienced by international students such as homesickness, the struggle of speaking in a second language and adjusting to a foreign food diet to name a few.

Besides developing strong relationships, studying in the U.S. has also offered me the honor of being an unofficial ambassador for Cameroon, my home country and at some extent, Africa. I was initially frustrated by some of the questions about Cameroon and Africa but then I realized the crucial role I could play in providing people with the most objective views on Africa.

Over the years, I understood that the root of most people’s misunderstanding about my continent and the rest of the world is the international media’s bias toward some parts of the world. For example, the international media has desensitized the world about Africa’s poverty with an excessive amount of pictures of hungry African children. Furthermore, positive changes and events such as the World Cup 2010 that took place in South Africa this summer are given insignificant if no coverage in the international news. Therefore, people are unaware of the progress made by some developing nations.

Nonetheless, I was very pleased to find out that Baylor University intentionally invests resources for the well-being of its international students. For example, domestic and international students are welcomed to share a free international meal every Tuesday evening at the Bobo Spiritual Center.

The Center of International Education organizes monthly social events targeted to international students only. The internationalization of education is real phenomenon and Baylor is definitely part of it with students from all 50 United States and more than 70 countries who call Baylor home. Happy International Education Week to the Baylor community!

This article was published in the Lariat on Thursday Nov.18 2010 and it's available online under the title "Lariat Letters: International gratitude." Please click here to read it.

Popular posts from this blog

March 8 is a special day for millenniums too

Over 100 years later, one may ask whether the celebration of the International Women's Day is still relevant today? The responses you will read below are those of four millenniums and W&A supporters. They have agreed to share their opinions with you and to explain what this special day means to them.
"The celebration of the International Women's Day is still relevant because women are still struggling to reach the gender equality. As a young African women, I can say with confidence that male dominance is still obvious in our societies. Understanding the reason behind March 8th is important for women.

Two American graduate students raise funds for South African students with The Project Ubuntu

Inspired by their recent summer study abroad program in South Africa, Elizabeth Patterson and Amber Lodman made the decision to create The Ubuntu Project upon their return to their home country, the United States of America.  The Project Ubuntu is a grassroots fundraising effort to help students of the Bachana Mockwena and Reinotswe special schools in South Africa.  Elizabeth Patterson and Amber Lodman, the two founders of the Project Ubuntu, started the fundraiser with the aim of providing funds for infrastructure building as well as dinning halls for meals. This summer of 2013, they both went to South Africa to study education and social reform.

Five powerful African women

Forbes has just released the official list of the world's 100 most powerful women of 2013. I am not sure which criteria Forbes experts used. Based on the list, they have probably included criteria such financial or diplomatic influence. However, I was disappointed to notice the insignificant representation of African women on the list. This may be partly explained by the background of those in charge of the selection.